I did a recipe last Wednesday so I thought I would do another today. My son is not a big sweet eater but he likes pound cake. After trying different store bought ones and different recipes and variations thereof, this is what we settled on.
Tony’s Favorite Pound Cake
1 (18.25-ounce) package Duncan Hines Butter Golden Cake Mix *
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
8 ounces sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- All ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine cake mix, oil, sour cream and sugar. Add eggs one at a time until thoroughly mixed. Stir in vanilla.
- Butter a bundt pan or two loaf pans and sugar coat the inside of pan (this creates the crisp crust found on the old fashioned pound cakes). Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until cake tests as done. My oven is a bit off so yours may take more or less and the loaf pans take about 10 minutes less than the bundt. Good rule of thumb is if you can smell it, you better test it for doneness.
* Since I started making this many years ago, the size of the cake mix is no longer 18.25 ounces. Just like everything else, they give us less and we pay more. It still tastes as good but it does not rise up the way it used to. It used to rise up like a golden mountain over the pans. Now it stays pretty flat on top. First time it happened, I thought I screwed something up, forgot something. Second time, I noticed the box and the ounces. But hey, it tastes the same and my son, and everyone else, loves it.
SERVING TIP: This is how we love to have this. Nice thick slice of cake, scoop of French vanilla ice cream, drizzle with Moosewood Hollow Sweet Heat. That is maple syrup infused with hot peppers. Unless you live in Vermont you’ll have to buy it online, it is delish.